In this tutorial I am going to explain you the method to add meta tags to blogger. First you may know what are meta tags.
What are Meta Tags ?
Meta Tags are the tags that are seen only by search engines while browsing your site & not by your site visitors. These are HTML tags that helps you to improve your site’s visibility in search engines, as search engines give emphasis on these tags while evaluating your site for search results.
The meta description tag is used to provide summary to your page content.
The keyword meta tags are used to provide the search engines with the specific keywords a user may use in search engine to find your page. Keywords were once used by search engines to rank your blog, but due
to abuse of meta tags & spamming , Search Engines no longer put emphasis on keywords for your blog ranking, but it is still used by some search engines sop it is important to add keywords meta tags for onsite SEO.
How to add Meta tags in Blogspot ?
By default Blogger.com has no option to add meta tags directly to your blog & post pages. But there is an easy way to implement it. Just Read on.
Adding meta tags to Blogger Blogspot blog Home Page
, follow the following steps :
1. Login to blogger.com .
2. Go to Layout —> Edit HTML
3. Backup your complete template by downloading it.
4. Check the Expand Widget Template box.
5. Find the following lines using ctrl + F :
6. Now paste the following code immediately below it :
<b:if cond=’data:blog.url == data:blog.homepageUrl’>
<meta content=’Place your blog description here‘ name=’description’/>
<meta content=’Place your blog keywords here(separated by commas)‘ name=’keywords’/>
7. Now replace the ‘Place your blog description here’ with your blog’s description within single quotes.
8. Replace the ‘Place your blog keywords here(separated by commas)’ with your blog’s keywords within single quotes.
9. Click on Save Template button & you are done.
To see your description in action, navigate to ‘view source’ under ‘view’ menu in internet explorer; or go to seocentro.com for the free meta tag analyser tool.
Adding Meta Tags to Blogspot Blog’s individual post
, follow the following steps :
1. Follow the steps 1 to 4 for adding meta tags to Home Page as described above.
2. Add the following just below the Home Page code you created above :
<b:if cond=’data:blog.url == “http://url of your post“‘>
<meta content=’keywords pertaining to your post‘ name=’keywords’/>
<meta content=’description of your post‘ name=’description’/>
3. Now change the fields highlighted with pink with your own posts’ url, keywords & description accordingly.
4. You are done now. Add the above code for your each post.
5. Click on Save Template.
1. Title Tag – Maximum Characters Limit is 60
2. Site Description – Maximum Characters Limit is 150
3. Keywords – Maximum Characters Limit is 200
4. Avoid using the same keyword more than 3 times. The maximum number of keywords recommended to be robot friendly is around 20.
Hope you liked the post. share in comments If you are having trouble adding meta tags to your blogspot blog.
Join My Awesome Newsletter !!
Get all the tips, tricks and suggestions directly to your inbox and thats too for free..!!